You are going to be in your skin until you die, you might as well get comfortable in it. Get to know your skin and care for it. Many are unaware of the fact that good skin care and healthy lifestyle choices can keep your skin healthy, hydrated and youthful for a long time. But first, it is better if you learn a bit about the process and the various causes of dry skin.
Process Of Skin Dehydration
The external factors that cause dry skin to deteriorate natural lipid surface barrier, Moisture evaporates as soon as this barrier is destroyed. Vital moisture binding substances are easily washed out and then the skin cannot hold as much water and becomes dry until the lipid barrier is repaired. If this barrier is not repaired in time the dryness progresses towards the inner layers of the skin. So what are these external factors? Read on to find out.
Factors Causing Dry Skin
When faced with a problem, one must find out the root cause of the problem. Here we are tackling dry skin problems. Let’s find out the causes for dry skin to help us determine precautions and care we should take to prevent dry skin. There are external and internal factors responsible for dry skin. Extreme weather conditions either hot or cold is among the top reasons for dry skin. Dry skin is very common in winters. UV rays from the sun accelerate skin aging thus our skin becomes more prone to dryness.
Some other external factors include frequent washing, wrong facial care routine, smoking, pollution, occupational hazards and side effects of medication. We learned all about external factors, now let’s look into the internal factors. Hormones play a vital role in the condition of your skin. Hormonal imbalances during adolescence, pregnancy, and menopause can affect the oil-producing glands in the skin, thus causing dry skin. Old age decreases skin’s ability to produce lipids that moisturize the skin. This can also lead to fine lines, wrinkles and sagging skin. Lack of unsaturated fatty acids and vitamins also contribute to dry skin.
All the causes of dry skin have been discussed. What precautions and care should we take to hydrate and replenish our dry skin?
- Try to avoid spending time outdoors in dry cold or hot weather
- Take quick showers in hot water. Try to make it lukewarm as much possible.
- Avoid skincare products with perfumes, colorants, and parabens.
- Avoid sun exposure as much as possible. If you can’t then make sure you apply sunscreen with SPF 15 or more.
- Quit smoking.
- Cleansing and exfoliating should be your weekly skincare routine.
- Always opt for the mild cleansers and exfoliators, you wouldn’t want to irritate your skin.
- Moisturizing is as important as breathing. An ideal moisturizer like Chantel St Claire Serum contains natural ingredients which supply moisture content by binding water in uppermost layers of skin.
- Sunscreen is a preventive measure as well as repairing tool for dry. Incorporate a sunscreen with SPF 30 or more in your daily skincare.
Maintaining a healthy and hydrated skin is not that tough all you have do is eat right, protect your skin, enjoy exercising, get your beauty sleep and be happy.